Saturday, August 1, 2009

In Loving Memory of Penny 1996-2009

Yesterday we had to put our dear sweet Penny down. She is the first dog that I remember picking out, and remember her life from that first day until the last. As many of you know Penny in the last year suffered from osteosarcoma (bone cancer) and that was why we had to amputate her leg in March. However, after the biopsy, there was a 90% chance that it had spread. At the beginning of June, she lost the ability to use her other back leg, and it caused her to have to drag her back end around, and involved carrying her outside to go to the bathroom. Because she dragged herself around, she developed rug burn, where the fur had rubbed off. It was so sad where she would drag herself all the way down the stairs when my dad was taking the other dog for a walk. Then within the last week she was not even able to chew a tiny cookie, and so yesterday we took her into the vet to look at her tooth. (my dad had started making her scrambled eggs for breakfast) After the vet examined her mandible or jaw, he realized that it was in fact the cancer that had spread to her face, and was causing her to not be able to chew. At this point it was agreed to not let Penny suffer anymore. She was a wonderful dog, and will always be my Petsmart puppy.

One of my favorite things was waking up with Penny snuggling next to me on the bed.

She loved to listen to me practice and teach. I will miss her!

1 comments:

JC said...

Miss,
I am so sorry about your dog! It's hard losing loved ones.
And in response to your last question, yes we should definitely get together before school starts