Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Why I do what I do

It's nearly midnight, and most normal people are in bed. Unfortunately I have to write a paper... one of the joys of grad school. During weeks like this, I often wonder why I do this. I never see my husband, I don't sleep, and I have had a cold almost the entire semester. Last night after teaching my cute student Mia, I was reminded by her parents that I had promised to play for them. I had a big final this morning, but I figured I could spare a few minutes. After playing I was astonished to see tears rolling down the mom's face. She told me that she had never heard anyone play like that before, and how different it was than listening to a recording. I was so flattered. I am glad that my music could touch someone like that. It's nights like those that remind me why I do what I do and give me the strength to survive the next week.

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm in Grad School too and I can ToTaLLy relate! It's ruff ... :)