Tuesday, February 3, 2009

What are the Odds?

I don't know if any of you feel this way, but I always get nervous to use the handicap stalls in the bathroom, I am always afraid that some handicapped person will be standing there when I come out. Does anyone know the bathroom etiquette of handicapped stalls.... are they only for handicapped people? Well see at the Jazz game, I had to go to the restroom during half-time, which is when everyone decides to go, so it was of course crowded, and there was a line. When it was my turn, the stall that opened up was the handicapped stall, so I went in. However, while I was in the stall I heard an elderly woman talking to someone that was cleaning the bathrooms who told the woman that there was a stall on the end, but that it was occupied. To my embarrassment, as I emerged from the stall there was the elderly woman using a walker waiting for me to come out. I was mortified.

1 comments:

Nicole Jones said...

I've actually had this discussion in a college class (Health & Diversity) and apparently the appropriate thing to do is- use it for relieving yourself (obviously unless there is a handicapped person waiting), but NOT for changing clothes. I'm not sure why the differentiation on this, but whatever. And I think a lady in a walker is just fine to wait like everyone else- that came out rude but what I mean is that the reason there is a special handicap stall (other than for space accommodating of course) is because people who are paralyzed from the waist down have a harder time anticipating their bodily functions (if you know what I mean) because of the lack of sensation so they can't hold it as long and need to be able to relieve themselves ASAP, without waiting in line.
I know you probably weren't looking for an "essay" on the subject, but hope that helps! :)